Diet for stage 3 CKD to Improve Kidney Function
CKD Stage 3 is key stage for kidney disease. If treated well, most of kidney damages can be reversed, or if not, it may develop into kidney failure very soon. Diet plays an important role for patients in CKD stage 3 in improving kidney functions.
· A diet that is low in saturated fat and cholesterol and moderate in total fats, especially if cholesterol is high or if you have diabetes or heart disease
· Including a variety of grains, fruits and vegetables, but whole grains and some fruits and vegetables may be limited if blood tests show phosphorus or potassium levels are above normal.
· Limiting intake of refined and processed foods high in sodium and prepare foods with less salt or high sodium ingredients
· Aiming for a healthy weight by consuming adequate calories and including physical activity each day
· Keeping protein intake within the DRI level recommended for healthy people with attention to high quality protein.
· Consuming the DRI for the water soluble vitamin B complex and C.
· Vitamin D and iron may be tailored to individual requirements
· Limiting phosphorus if blood levels of phosphorus or PTH are above normal
· Limiting calcium if blood levels are above normal
· Potassium is usually not restricted unless blood levels are above normal.
Besides diet, you can also take some mild exercise to slow down the course of Kidney Failure. You are suggested to walk, hike, swim, stretching etc.
Once you have two or more symptoms of CKD, you are suggested to talk with your doctor as soon as possible. Management of exercise, diet and treatment will help you to improve kidney function and avoid kidney failure. If you need any help, you can leave a message below. We will give you a reply within 24 hours.
- Prev: Suggested Diet Habit for IgA Nephropathy
- Next: none